Energy in Australia 2012 now available
28 February 2012
‘Accurate and comprehensive energy data enables us to plan Australia’s energy future and ultimately maintain reliable, accessible and sustainable energy supply’, Professor Quentin Grafton said today when releasing BREE’s latest report, Energy in Australia 2012.
This annual publication provides a detailed overview of energy in Australia, including resources, production, consumption, trade and prices. The combination of energy related statistics and analysis is a useful resource to inform industry, government and the community. The report is also accompanied by a fact card of key energy facts for Australia.
‘Publications such as Energy in Australia 2012 increase our understanding of energy issues and provide important information for making informed policy and investment decisions,’ Professor Grafton stated. ‘I recommend that you take full advantage of the facts and figures in this latest report.’
The report highlights that Australia is endowed with abundant, high quality and diverse renewable and non-renewable energy resources, including coal, gas, uranium, wind, solar and geothermal.
The energy industry is a significant contributor to the Australian economy, accounting for around 5 per cent of total industry value added in 2009–10, or around $68.2 billion.
Australia is the world’s ninth largest energy producer, accounting for around 2.5 per cent of world energy production and 5 per cent of world energy exports. In 2009–10, net energy exports accounted for 68 per cent of domestic energy production, while domestic consumption accounted for the remaining 32 per cent.
In 2009–10, coal accounted for 37 per cent of Australia’s total primary energy supply, followed by oil (35 per cent), gas (23 per cent) and renewable energy sources (5 per cent). Energy consumption increased at an average annual rate of 1.8 per cent over the ten years from 1999–2000 to 2009–10.
Earnings from energy exports were around $70 billion in 2010–11, accounting for 33 per cent of the total value of Australia’s commodity exports. Coal is Australia’s largest energy export earner, followed by crude oil and liquefied natural gas (LNG).
Most of Australia’s electricity is produced using coal, which accounted for about 75 per cent of total generation in 2009–10. Gas accounted for about 15 per cent of electricity generation and renewable energy sources for 8 per cent, including hydro (5 per cent) and wind (2 per cent). Households in Australia face relatively low retail electricity prices compared with many OECD economies.
For free downloads of Energy in Australia 2012, please visit the Publications webpage.