BREE organisation chart
The following documents provide an overview of the Bureau of Resources and Energy Economics (BREE) organisation structure.
Biographies of BREE senior management
- Quentin Grafton—Executive Director/Chief Economist
- Quentin Grafton has a PhD in Economics from the University of British Columbia and holds a Chair and a professorship in economics at the Australian National University. He is the recipient of numerous research awards and the author and/or editor of a dozen books in resource and environmental economics along with over one hundred publications in peer-reviewed journals and chapters in books.
- Roger Rose—Deputy Chief Economist
- Roger Rose has has 25 years of experience as an economist in the public service and was formerly the Chief Research Economist at ABARE and a member of the Eminent Scientist Panel for the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
- Geoff Armitage—Data and Statistics Program Manager
- Geoff Armitage has over 15 years experience in data management, data collection and statistics. Prior to joining BREE, Geoff managed ABARES data management section including corporate statistical databases. Geoff has worked in private industry as a management accountant and financial analyst. He holds a Bachelor of Applied Science (Honours) from the University of Canberra and an Accounting Certificate from Sydney Technical College.
- Nhu Che—Senior Economist and Program Leader: Energy and Quantitative Analysis
- Nhu Che received her PhD and also Master's degree in Economics from the Australian National University. At BREE her works and responsibilities specialise in macroeconomic, energy supply and demand, oil and gas. She is a co-author of several books and the author of papers in peer-reviewed academic journals including Land Economics, Journal of Productivity Analysis, Applied Economics and the Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics as well as numerous professional and technical publications. Her research has been nationally recognised with the 2009 'CSIRO Medal for Research Achievement'.
- John Barber—Resources Program Manager
- John Barber has over 10 years experience in cost analysis and business forecasting. Prior to joining BREE he worked at the Department of Defence where he managed the Major Capital Equipment Program and was involved in a number of strategic planning reviews as a financial analyst. He holds a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Western Australia and is currently undertaking a post-graduate study at the Research School of Economics at the Australian National University.
- Arif Syed—Senior Economist and Program Leader: Modelling and Policy Integration
- Arif Syed has worked as a Section Manager both at the Australian Taxation Office and the Department of Finance and has experience in policy development, program management and research in various agencies of the Australian government, including the Productivity Commission. For the last four years he has managed the Energy Efficiency and Energy Projection Programs at ABARES, and at BREE. He has a PhD in Economics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.